Lucentis is an FDA-approved drug that treats macular degeneration. It’s manufactured and marketed by the pharmaceutical company Novartis, which also makes another drug used to treat macular degeneration called Eylea. Reducing the risk of macular degeneration and other eye diseases is important.
The lutein and zeaxanthin in these foods are referred to as “carotenoids” because they are related to carotene, the pigment that gives carrots their orange hue. Read on for more information about this condition, its treatment options, and natural ways you can reduce your risk of developing it..
What is Macular Degeneration?
Macular degeneration occurs when the macula, the part of the eye that is responsible for central vision, begins to break down. This can cause a number of different symptoms including blurred vision and distorted color perception. In many cases, macular degeneration is an age-related condition that becomes more likely as you get older. This is why it’s sometimes referred to as “age-related macular degeneration” or “ARMD”.
ARMD typically doesn’t have any symptoms until it’s progressed to a certain point, so it may go unnoticed for years. It’s also considered to be a “silent” condition because there are no obvious symptoms until it has become quite advanced.
How does Lucentis Work?
Lucentis works by increasing the blood flow to the retina and macula. It also allows for increased visual acuity. Lucentis is used to treat the early stages of macular degeneration and neovascularization that occurs in diabetic retinopathy. Lucentis contains the drug ranibizumab. This drug has been shown to be more effective than other drugs used to treat macular degeneration.
Lucentis is injected into the back of the eye in order to treat macular degeneration. Neovascularization is a process by which new blood vessels form in the retina. This process is abnormal and leads to the formation of abnormal blood vessels, which are known as “retinal veins.” These abnormal veins are often treated with photodynamic therapy (PDT). Lucentis is often used in conjunction with PDT to prevent the abnormal retinal veins from forming again after the treatment.
Benefits of Lucentis
- It is more effective than other drugs used to treat macular degeneration
- A study found that Lucentis was more effective than the drug Eylea in treating macular degeneration.
- It has fewer side effects than Eylea
- Lucentis has been shown to have fewer side effects than Eylea.
- It is effective in treating neovascularization in diabetic retinopathy
- Lucentis has also been shown to be effective in treating neovascularization in diabetic retinopathy.
Headaches – In some cases, patients taking Lucentis experience headaches.
Eye pain – Some people experience eye pain as a side effect of Lucentis.
Eye swelling – In rare cases, patients may experience eye swelling as a side effect of Lucentis.
Blurred vision – Some patients experience blurry vision as a side effect of Lucentis.
Vision loss – In rare cases, patients who take Lucentis experience vision loss.
Retinal detachment – In rare cases, patients who take Lucentis experience retinal detachment.
Cataract development – Patients who take Lucentis may experience cataract development.
Fluid buildup in the eye – Some patients experience increased eye fluid as a side effect of Lucentis.
Who should not take Lucentis?
- Patients who have had a retinal detachment.
- Lucentis should not be used by patients who have had a retinal detachment.
- Patients who have had a macular hole.
- Lucentis should not be used by patients who have had a macular hole.
- Patients who have an active eye infection.
- Lucentis should not be used by patients who have an active eye infection.
- Patients who are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Patients with an allergy to ranibizumab.
- Lucentis should not be used by patients with an allergy to ranibizumab.
Conclusion: What is Lucentis, and how does it work?
Macular degeneration is a condition that affects many people as they age. Luckily, there are drugs like Lucentis that can be used to treat it. Lucentis is more effective than other drugs used to treat macular degeneration, and it has fewer side effects too. It’s important to keep in mind that Lucentis is not a cure for macular degeneration. It can only be used for treating the early stages of the condition, and it does not reverse the damage that has already been done.